Nothing like getting accustomed to a new country. I thought after the DR I'd have this one in the bag....but, without fail, there are difficulties.
1)
Apparently the sun is strong enough here to scorch you at 4PM while walking in the shade. Who knew?
(I guess it could also be my stubborn self boycotting sunscreen?)
2) I'm debating whether I was attacked by an angry mosquito while outside on our terrace or by mean little creatures living in my mattress. According to google, and Molly's Merck Manual (which is super frightening and pretty much informed me that I would die of Hep B), it's nearly impossible for even dermatologists to differentiate. I think I'm screwed. I have 18+ bug bites on my right calf alone. So I took my sheets and mattress cover to the laundromat and tried explaining to the woman who worked there what had happened. Earlier in the day, and following the advice of my new roommate, I marked all of my "bug" bites with a pen so that I could tell if I was getting more throughout the day.
This seemed like a great idea at the time, however the woman at the laundry mat thought I was crazy when I pointed out my bug bites - and each was well marked by a big blue line.
Once again, as I walked down the streets of BA, I can't imagine how much of a foreigner I looked like. Anyway, she took my sheets and will apparently soak them in bleach overnight-or in some other strong chemical, I hope.
3)
Cucarochas galore. I was settling down for the night and about to do some things on my computer when I heard a screech from the kitchen. It was Molly along with her little insect friends. Clarence and Leroy had been our house pets, as Adam informed us when we first arrived. But tonight all of their distant relatives stopped by for a visit. There were 10+ just scurrying across our hallways, kitchen, bathroom. I have an amazing video clip of Molly wigging out as one entered her room which I will post as soon as I figure that advanced tech. out. Adam was not so impressed. Um, welcome to living with girls :)
4)
And last, but not least, our ant farm. We don't have a garbage disposal. Not surprising at all.
So, inevitably, we leave all of our food remnants in the trash. This corner behind our door to the kitchen is where we keep our trash can....ironically this is the same corner where a family of ants decided to inhabit. hmmmm.
Next stop? Hardware store. Next Purchase? Screens for our drains, OFF, and Raid. Bring on the chemicals.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.